A STOP error message at the startup of Windows operating system makes your operating system unbootable and data inaccessible. Few main reasons for the occurrence of the STOP error message can be file system damage, MBR (Master Boot Record) corruption, application or utility program errors, virus infection and more. After the occurrence of a STOP error message, you need to restore the data from an up-to-date backup to get back all your data files. However, in case of absence of an updated backup, you need to use advanced file recovery software to recover the data.
Consider a practical scenario, where you encounter the below error message when you attempt to start a Windows 2000 Server based server system:
“STOP: 0x00000069 (0x00000000, 0x00000001, 0x00000002, 0x00000003)
The four parameters in the above error message differ with computer’s configuration.
Data saved in the hard drive becomes inaccessible after you encounter the above error message.
The root cause for the occurrence of the above STOP error message is removing the Computer Associates ARCserve 2000 Backup program from your system by using Add/Remove Programs (Start > Run > appwiz.cpl).
To resolve the above error and access the data, you will need to perform an in-place upgrade of Windows 2000 Server operating system. To do so, you need to follow these steps:
- Insert the Windows 2000 Server CD in your system’s optical drive like a CD-ROM drive. Then start your system and press a key on the keyboard when you receive the prompt to boot from the CD.
- In Windows 2000 Server Setup, press the ENTER key, when you get the following option:
- To set up Windows 2000 now, Press ENTER
- Next, Press F8 to Accept the License Agreement.
- Windows Setup searches for the hard drive for any earlier installations of Windows 2000 Server.
- Use the arrow keys to choose Windows 2000 Server installation that does not start, and then press R to select the repair option.
- Follow the commands in Windows 2000 Server Setup for comprehensive repair of existing Windows 2000 installation.
- When the Setup completes, remove the Windows 2000 Server CD from the optical drive.
- Restart your system.
However, if you encounter the same error message after restarting your system, the best option is to reinstall Windows 2000 Server operating system. A clean reinstall of Windows will erase all the critical server data from the selected hard drive partition. For complete recovery of lost the lost data from a formatted hard drive partition, you need to use powerful partition recovery software. Such Partition Recovery applications use advanced scanning mechanisms for complete recovery of the lost data. With highly graphical and interactive user interface and automated recovery procedure, these recovery applications work as user-friendly recovery tools.
Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery is a powerful and reliable file recovery tool. The software recovers lost files from corrupted, deleted, formatted or lost hard drive partitions and volumes. It natively supports 185 diverse file types that can be further extended. The software is compatible with FAT16, FAT32, VFAT, NTFS and NTFS5 file systems. It supports Windows 7 (Currently in RC1), Vista, XP, 2003 and 2000.