- Stay calm. As frightened as you are, chances are, the intruders are just as frightened and nervous. The situation is tense and unpredictable, which is why it is imperative for you to stay calm. Speak calmly and move slowly. As long as the invader or invaders think they’re in control of the situation, it gives them less reason to escalate the situation.
- Don’t initiate violence. Don’t be tempted to be the hero in the situation. Any sudden movement can be seen as a threat to the invaders, and they are more likely to take extreme measures to defuse the situation. Keep a cool head, and don’t risk your life or the life of your loved ones.
- Cooperate. Again, it’s all about control or the semblance thereof. If the invaders think and feel as though they’re in control, they are less likely to resort to violence. Don’t give them that opportunity by not being cooperative.
- Collect mental clues. Take note of the invader or invaders’ heights, weights, hair color, distinguishing scars or tattoos, voice, accents, and any other clues you can gather.
- Take inventory of loss. Do your best to remember the items the invaders took from your property.
- After they’re gone, call the police right away. While your memory is fresh and the details are clear, make sure you talk to law enforcement right away. While you’re waiting for them to arrive on site, write down all the details you can remember. Your clues can help law enforcement in any subsequent investigation.
Home invasions are certainly unpredictable situations. But the one thing you can control is how you conduct yourself. Don’t give invaders any reason to escalate the situation and resort to extreme measures.
Use these few tips and advice to protect you, your family and especially your most prized possession… Your Home!! From a Home Invasion!
as always, be safe Online
Your Online Security Authority
teach it, learn it, and share it…
© 2006 – 2011 Online Security Authority