RSS Feed for This PostCurrent Article

GASP – Games Adolescents Shouldn’t Play

We talk a great deal about not taking or doing drugs, we have suicide prevention discussions, but, how many of you have had a discussion with your children about the Choking Game? The technical term is “” which is comparable to hard drug addiction. The worst is that there is no drug to remove it; your own brain produces the endorphins, making you feel high. Adolescents are at an increasingly high rate of danger of not just passing out when “playing this game”, but actually suffocating themselves or choking themselves to death.

Many people say that this game is played for the high, but, it’s also played for the shock factor and for children who have never “played” it, it can be even more risky. These children are not sure how far they can take it before it takes over them. Also, when in large groups, children as we all know, do stupid things. Being in a group of your peers and playing this game, is very scary. You never know when one child might be brutal or a big enough bully to actually push this too far, and cause irreprehensible damage, and even death.

Once addicted to this form of “play” or this “game”, you risk many health problems, not just death. You are also in danger of passing this on to others. Some counselors and psychologists have outlined ways to help adults (children too, but they should seek counseling one on one) overcome these over-powering thoughts and desires. Reading more on ways to help yourself and/or your children may just save a life.

What behavior traits need to be developed in order to accept personal responsibility?

In order to accept personal responsibility you need to develop the ability to:

1. Seek out and to accept help for yourself.
  2. Be open to new ideas or concepts about life and the human condition.
  3. Refute irrational beliefs and overcome fears.
  4. Affirm yourself positively.
  5. Recognize that you are the sole determinant of the choices you make.
  6. Recognize that you choose your responses to the people, actions, and events in your life.
  7. Let go of anger, fear, blame, mistrust, and insecurity.
  8. Take risks and to become vulnerable to change and growth in your life.
  9. Take off the masks of behavior characteristics behind which you hide low self-esteem.
  10. Reorganize your priorities and goals.
  11. Realize that you are the party in charge of the direction your life takes.

Although these steps seem rough or too much, there are ways to soften how they are stated, and ways to share these with a child, while letting them know that you are always there, and will stand behind them and help them. For more information regarding these subjects, please visit: GASP – http://gamesadolescentsshouldntplay.com/en/home.asp, and the forum – http://www.deadlygameschildrenplay.com/forum/index.php, and Coping.org – http://www.coping.org/growth/accept.htm.

You might also want to check out TheCHW.com and also go and listen to past radio broadcasts at: CHWradio.com for further information on protecting our children, our internet safety, and

OSA Technorati Tags: , ,

OSA Trackback URL

1. 8 Comment(s)

2. By Dartz on May 15, 2008 | Reply

God… Kids will do ANYTHING these days, I expected this to be banter about violent games but this is something else.

I didn’t even know this kind of thing existed, I’ll admit, we did hold a lot of breath-holding contests back in my school, but nobody ever passed out from it.

3. By ScribesUnlimited on May 16, 2008 | Reply

Some of my friends played a similar game growing up. I’d just watch and laugh about it. Something about holding your breath, and letting someone lift you up by your chest. It’s supposed to somehow “knock” you unconscious. I’d have to look it up, but it’s SUPPOSED to be harmless. I’m not so sure.

4. By Somnilocus on May 17, 2008 | Reply

Maybe I’m missing something, but this just doesn’t seem very appealing. 😛 The things kids are doing these days are… well, bizarre. I hadn’t even heard of this until now.

@Dartz – yeah, “who can hold his/her breath the longest.” No one made it past 10 seconds. It was a pretty safe and innocent version of this, haha.

5. By Dartz on May 22, 2008 | Reply

@Somnilocus – 10 seconds? Amateurs, I manage to break 2 minutes without breaking a sweat.

I looked up Asphyxiophility, and I get 15 results on Google, none of them are dictionary links, wikipedia links etc., anything with a real definition.

I’m calling BS on this.

6. By dreamr802 on May 23, 2008 | Reply

Wow I have never heard of this type of game. But I remember growing up we use to have a stop watch and whoever could hold their breath the longest would win…but no one was forcing us to hold our breath and we could breathe when we wanted to.

7. By Online Security on Jun 17, 2008 | Reply

I guess I am getting old, because the things kids are doing these days for fun just don’t seem fun. What happened to just playing hide and seek in the back yard?

Online Securitys last blog post..Journal Entry: You Have My Permission to… NOT… “Click Here”

8. By Responsible Cyber Citizen on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

I’m surprised that nobody mentioned the danger that can be involved if/when the child passes out. They could fall on something and injure themselves–I’ve seen it happen.

Responsible Cyber Citizens last blog post..Journal Entry: You Have My Permission to… NOT… “Click Here”

9. By Responsible Cyber Citizen on Jun 18, 2008 | Reply

I used to do dumb things sort of like this as a kid.

I try to avoid making mistakes like that as an adult by using http://www.onlinesecurityauthority.com/.

1. 1 Trackback(s)