How to Use Online Shopping and Online Banking Wisely – Online shopping is the newest trend in consumerism. From purchasing a home to ordering Mac ‘n’ Cheese, it can all be done online.
The transactions are so swift that your items can be purchased in the blink of an eye. Many companies, such as Amazon, even offer “1-click buy” buttons that allow you to instantly purchase any item.
Online banks accelerate the purchasing process by allowing websites to connect with your bank information and have near-real time transactions appear on your account. With all the wonder of such easy purchasing power, you have to puzzle over how they keep all that information so secure. With bank account numbers and personal information floating around in virtual space, how do you protect that information from being compromised by hackers? Have you ever had your account information hijacked before? Or maybe you know someone that has?
If yes, then you are surely aware that it is all too easy for anyone with low morals to figure out how to get the information they need to drain your bank account or purchase items in your name. The only way you can really feel secure as you go about your daily online activites is by being in-the-know. Ignorance about the security of online transactions and banking can lead to making mistakes and losing a lot of time and money. But if you understand online security protocols, you will be prepared to enjoy the wonders of the Internet while keeping yourself safe and secure.
Shopping and banking on the Internet can be perfectly safe, as long as you are cautious about the way you do it. You should be vigilant about not letting anyone see your log-in information. This article will attempt to explain the basic security measures that online stores and banks have implemented to protect your information, as well as tips for what you can do to ensure even greater security.
Summary of Online Shopping Security Tips
- 1. Credit cards are ALWAYS safer.
2. Only use secure (https://) websites—marked by the small image of a closed padlock at the bottom of some web browsers.
3. Never give out your Social Security number.
4. Protect your passwords and PIN numbers.
5. Be aware of shipping details and usage policies. 6. Be extra cautious with auction sites—keep an eye out for scams.
Summary of Online Banking Security Tips
- 1. Regularly check your account to make sure no illicit or unwanted charges have occurred.
2. Change your password on a regular basis.
3. Use only your credit card for online transactions.
4. Secure all papers that may contain sensitive information, such as account numbers (including checkbooks) and social security number.
About the Author:
Natalie Clive is a writer for MyCollegesandCareers.com.
My Colleges and Careers helps people determine if an online education is right
for them and helps them search for online degrees that can help them reach their goals.
We would like to thank our guest writers on the Online Security Authority Blog! We feel it’s a honor and pleasure, to have others participate and contribute to the great content, advice and opinions on and in this Online World, we all live in… help us, help them, by supporting and visiting their sites!
as always, be safe Online
Your Online Security Authority
teach it, learn it, and share it…
© 2006 – 2011 Online Security Authority